How Does California Determine Vehicle Registration Fees?
It is common knowledge that each state has its own rules when it comes to vehicle registration fees. Some are simpler, while others are more complex. California falls under the latter category. There are a variety of factors taken into consideration to formulate each vehicle registration fee. This blog is going to go over these factors and then provide you with the information you need to calculate your own vehicle registration fee.
What are Registration Fees Based on?
The state of California determines vehicle registration fees on an array of factors. These include:
- Vehicle Type (motorcycle, automobile, etc.)
- The purchase price or declared value of the vehicle
- The date the vehicle was purchased or entered California
- The city/county the vehicle is stored
- If the vehicle is a company car, then the city/county the business is based
- The unladen or declared GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) & number of axles
- If the vehicle has a special license plate
- If there are unpaid parking violations or toll evasion bail
All of these are taken into consideration by the California DMV when formulating your vehicle registration fee. If you plan to use your vehicle on the highway, you may have additional fees. These include the California Highway Patrol fee, vehicle license fee, transportation improvement fee, and county/district fee.
Read More: What are the Benefits of Driving a Hybrid Vehicle in California?
How Do I Calculate My Registration Fee?
The easiest way to calculate your registration fee is to either wait to receive your DMV renewal card in the mail or to utilize an online calculator. The California DMV provides an online calculator for this exact purpose. There are calculators available for new vehicles, nonresident vehicles, used vehicles, and registration renewal. You can find the corresponding calculators by going to the California DMV website.
If you require any additional information, do not hesitate to reach out to Magnussen’s Toyota of Palo Alto. Our sales team is knowledgeable in the registration fee process in California. We would be happy to help you and answer any questions you may have.